Toshiba Corporation (“Toshiba”), in accordance with its Basic Commitment and Standards of Conduct, engages in business activities that contribute to society, while endeavoring to earn the trust of all customers and meet the expectations of stakeholders. Toshiba protects personal data obtained from its stakeholders in the course of business activities appropriately in accordance with the following Basic Policy, recognizing that personal data is an important asset of each stakeholder and also an important asset for Toshiba, leading to creation of new value.
- Toshiba strictly observes the Act on the Protection of Personal Information and other relevant laws and regulations. Toshiba has established the Toshiba Personal Data Protection Program (the “Program”), which Toshiba carefully implements and maintains, while striving to continuously improve the personal data protection management system.
- Toshiba has established a management framework to protect personal data assigning a person in charge at each of its relevant divisions and ensures that all officers and employees recognize the importance of the Program and comply with it.
- Toshiba utilizes personal data within the scope of the intended use that is clearly communicated to customers. Toshiba does not disclose or provide personal data provided by customers to third parties except with the consent of the customer from whom the personal data was obtained or when there is a legitimate reason.
- While maintaining the accuracy and up-to-dateness of personal data, Toshiba strives to prevent unauthorized access to personal data or the leakage, loss, or damage of personal data and continually enhances and remediates information security management.
- Toshiba responds to inquiries from customers concerning personal data or requests from customers for disclosure of personal data sincerely and without delay.
Established: May 30, 2000 Revised: June 24, 2009 Hisao Tanaka President and Chief Executive Officer Toshiba Corporation This Basic Policy applies to personal data held by Toshiba Corporation in Japan. Concerning the privacy policies of Toshiba’s affiliates in Japan or overseas subsidiaries, please find the websites of these companies.
The Privacy Mark
In May 2000 Toshiba established the Toshiba Personal Data Protection Program in compliance with JIS Q 15001 and in April 2001 acquired Privacy Mark certification from Japan Information Processing Development Corporation (currently, Japan Institute for Promotion of Digital Economy and Community) (JIPDEC). The Privacy Mark is awarded to companies that appropriately handle personal data.
Link to Japanese Page
Link to English Page
Intended Use of Personal Data
With respect to the intended use of personal data which Toshiba holds, please refer to the page of Intended Use of Personal Data. The business domains Toshiba utilizes personal data are widely covered by Digital Products, Electronic Devices & Components, Social Infrastructure Systems and others. When Toshiba obtains personal data from customers on each products and services, Toshiba clearly indicates in advance the purpose for which the personal data is intended to be used. Toshiba uses the information within the scope of the stated purpose of use. When the need to use a customer’s personal data for any purpose that goes beyond the stated purpose of use arises, Toshiba notifies the customer to that effect and obtains the customer